We recommend our clients update their mailing lists every 6-12 months. The beginning of the year is the perfect time to edit your lists, adding new clients or potentials, and deleting those who you don’t want to work with. Below are some tips and things to consider when updating your list and sending it over to One Step.
SOCIAL LIST (aka CLIENT LIST)
- If you have a CRM or client database, export all of your clients and leads.
- Comb carefully through your list. Who has moved? Who has gotten divorced or married? Who has passed away? Time to update those records.
- Add to your client/potentials list. Who did you work with in 2020? Who showed interest but didn’t make a move? Who is a good candidate for an upsell, referral or repeat business? Make sure those people are added to your list.
- Add to your social or personal contacts list. Go through the Christmas cards you just received and add those addresses. Add people you know from school, church or social clubs.
- Ask for addresses from people in your social circle, from church, school, social clubs, etc. Add these to the list.
- Its never fun to delete addresses, but if there are people who you know are never going to work with you or buy from you, don’t waste money marketing to them. Delete and move on.
FARM LIST (aka GEOGRAPHIC AREA LIST)
- If you a real estate agent, get an updated list from your title company.
- If you purchased a list, it might be time to purchase an update, especially if your list is over 1 year old.
- Determine if you are going to send to the owners mailing address, or the site address, or both. Read our latest blog to learn the difference.
- You may want to consider asking your list provider for more demographic information so you can segment your list and send more targeted marketing pieces.
THE PROPER FORMAT
Its very important that you send us your updated list in the proper format. Incorrect mailing lists may incur a higher set up fee or may be rejected all together. Please note the following:
- The file must be an excel spreadsheet or a .csv file.
- We CANNOT accept a numbers file, Word Doc, a scanned document or anything other than an excel or .csv file.
- There should be 6 columns total: First Name, Last Name, Street Address, City, State and Zip Code. All other information should be deleted.
- If you would like a business name to appear in addition to a persons name, you can put that information in a 7th column titled “Alternate Name.”
- Don’t worry about duplicates. We always check and delete them.
We must have your list in an excel spreadsheet or a .csv file. There must